Welcome

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. Everything has been figured out, except how to live. One always dies too soon or too late. And yet, life is there, finished. The line is drawn, and it must all be added up. You are nothing other than your life. There is only one day left, always starting over. It is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk. We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are, that is the fact. When you live alone you no longer know what it is to tell a story: the plausible disappears at the same time as the friends. You let events flow by too.Suddenly you see people appear who speak and then go away; you plunge into stories of which you can't make head or tail. You'd make a terrible witness. It is true that people who live in society have learned how to see themselves in mirrors as they appear to their friends. Luckily, I only have a few...

Dr Shaw is a lecturer in Further Education at Edge Hill University, Ormskirk. She also offers philosophy courses at the School of Continuing Education, Lifelong learning, at the University of Liverpool. In 2015, she has completed her Doctorate in philosophy with a focus on existentialism, the equilibrium doctrine and narrative. She has worked as a teacher of English and Comparative literature and Philosophy at The American University in Cairo, Egypt where she also obtained her BA (Hons). Dr Shaw has an MA in Philosophy and Literature from the University of East Anglia where she also taught on a number of humanities subjects. Whilst working in North Wales in Further education, she gained a PGCE aimed at teaching in FE and HE sectors. Dr Shaw moved to Liverpool in 2010 where she now resides.

Interests: Existentialism, Narrative, Comparative Literature, Feminist Thought, Public Speaking, Arab Existentialism, Philosophy of Education, Art, Music, Film and Theatre, Greek Mythology, Existential counsellor and psychotherapist.

https://liverpool.academia.edu/ShereenHamedShaw


Saturday 21 January 2012

Dying from a broken heart ?

I have always wondered if how can people say "he or she died from a broken heart" seems to me like something from a fairy tale with a sad ending. I wasn't really convinced till I came across this article and it made me think more:
          http://www.familyhealthavenue.com/2010/02/is-it-possible-to-die-from-a-broken-heart/

It must be terrible to see a loved one slip away without being able to stop him/her or accept it altogether. Every new year I realise that another year has passed without my grandpa. I cannot recall the exact date he died but I recall the day very well as if it just happened an hour ago. I never really accepted that he died. I was so angry that my grandma started decorating the house right after- I was full of rage thinking over and over how could she wipe the memories I have of him in the house. Now I understand that it was her way of coping with his loss. I feel bad now for being mad at her. I just wished that she wouldn't decorate so I can continue feeling him around and seeing things as I always did when I lived their.

I am not sure that there is a man on the face of the earth who deserves a woman's love to that extent. I perhaps realised it when I saw my baby son. He is the only man who deserves all the love and care because to the world I may be just one person, but to him I am the ONLY person.


1 comment:

  1. Death isn't easy.
    It never is.
    Having lost my one and only brother I know the scars never truly heal, but time helps you carry the load and continue the trials of life.

    My condolences for your grandpa. May he be in a better place, InshAllah :-)

    ReplyDelete